I walked in the door tonight. The table still had slimy grains of rice on it from dinnertime. I'm thinking, "Why didn't Jonathan clean it off? He's been home for the last two hours." Then I remembered that it was Atticus' chore to clean the table and sweep the kitchen floor. My head is always in a whirlwind when I walk in the door. Especially tonight. Cinci dropped a jar of salsa after getting out of the Porsche. Crash! There's a pile of red chunky stuff on our garage floor and a whole bunch of broken glass. I just don't have the energy to go clean it up right now. I will. But not right now. Jonathan just told me that he didn't get the scholarship he was hoping to get. He's devastated. Jonathan usually doesn't get devastated. But tonight he is. He just stepped out for an hour to tutor some friends in their English, but he'll be back. I called a family meeting and announced:
- Dad is not in a good mood kids!
- Be on your best behavior when you are around him!
- We're probably not going to Turkey as we had planned.
- Our family will have to separate for a while again and you won't have a dad.
- You may have to attend school in Utah for a year.