Friday, September 17, 2010

Life in Doha















We have a family tradition here in Doha. How many times do you have to do it for it to become a tradition? I don't know. We've only done this once before. We woke up early and went down to the Corniche, which is the walkway by the sea, and took the bikes for the kids. Cinci brought a scooter, and Hector brought his stroller. Anyway we went early enough so it wouldn't be so hot. They rode down the Corniche and then afterwards we went to Ric's Kountry Kitchen, which is a place to get an American style breakfast. Lots of grease, with the option of food. The kids love grease cuz I never give it to them. So we walked by some men fishing and we saw them catch a silvery fish wiggling for its life as he pulled it out of the water. It had teeth. I asked him what bait he used. He pulled some bloody fish heads out of his bag. So the fish is a meat eater. I will not go swimming in the Corniche waters now. I saw a whole school of these fish a little while later rippling the surface of the water as they moved about. I was quite satisfied to see what wildlife came out of the coastal waters here. Sometimes I feel like I live in a dead place where nothing could possibly survive. But it's not true. The desert is full of life. Just not life that I'm used to looking for.





1 comment:

Tiff and Dan said...

Christine, you look fantastic! your kids look happy too! i'm sure you'll be happier as I will when things start to cool down. Just another month or too. Congrats too on the Qatar airways flights. They go to so many cool places! Have fun taking your pick.