Sunday, March 4, 2018

Lucky seven

 I get exhausted just looking at this picture. It was taken almost ten years ago on a trip to London our family took while we were living in Turkey the first time. I remember the trip with fondness, although I can't for the life of me think of why. Look at those wiggly kids. It must be because I was still young and energetic with dreams of making my kids geniuses by showing them the cultures of the world. Well, those days are gone. That they just be good people is enough for me. 
This photo was taken a few days ago. Jonathan couldn't come with, I was taking the picture, and we had two additional kids. They enjoyed the Natural History Museum about the same as they did when we went ten years ago. It was another lovely experience. Its still free and still beautiful. 

London exhausts me though. Like most big cities, it is tedious. London was a bit strange though. It was easy to get around and find things but it was expensive, food portions were small, and no one talks. Seriously, we got on the underground and every seat was taken. Maybe there were a few people standing, but the entire space was silent. No one was talking or making any noise. I felt like I was in church praying that my kids would be well behaved. My kids were the only ones making noise and they weren't being naughty. They were just being themselves. It startled me that they could be so quiet. The metros in Istanbul were loud. Athens, they're a bit quieter but there is always some human noise. But in London, silence.
 This time around we rented a car and drove outside of London. We saw Stonehenge. It was really expensive. 19 pounds for an adult ticket. I told Jonathan that I didn't really care about going in myself and that he could take the kids. I had read a disappointing review of Stonehenge by a fellow Worldschooler on Facebook recently. She wasn't impressed, nor was her family. I kept thinking to myself, its just a place on Earth. Just like my house or a patch of grass. It doesn't mean anything. I don't need to spend that 19 pounds. I'd rather read my book. Jonathan insisted that I join them. Atticus even wanted to go in. I asked him why and he said that there is a scene in Transformers that takes place near Stonehenge. Of course. I'm glad we forked over the money. The museum portion was excellent and I wish I'd had more time to enjoy it and go through more of the exhibits. Stonehenge itself is striking and strange. It wasn't just another place on Earth. It was discovered and we get to know about it now.  
Then we drove southwestward. It was peaceful and the people were kind, open and friendly. Simply because of that, I want to make another trip to England in the future. I thought I'd had enough. I've probably been to London six times in my life and not once have I ever thought, "Gosh, I have to come back. This place has got something that I'd like to experience more of." Well, maybe the seventh time is the charm. I'm coming back and staying out of London. Anyone wanna come? 

2 comments:

Daniela said...

I think people from London are from another Galaxy :) Too serious, too much history on their shoulders, too committed to their "Englishness"... I remember a scene of a TV series ending with two women talking at a wedding saying "With any luck [Edith and Bertie] will be happy enough, which is the English version of a happy ending."
But at the same time they are fascinating, place like Stonehenge, Wales, the cliff, the Moore, the castles, people with different stories in different parts of great Britain and Ireland are worth a meeting. Your children are very lucky to have such savvy parents!

kallisue said...

That first photo is how I remember you guys.