Sunday, August 22, 2021

Late Summer 2021

 Jonathan flew out today on his work trip. Whenever he does this, I feel like I have to go live life on my own, instead of doing the activities that I usually do when he is around. I didn't even drive him to the airport. His mom did. I went to Mirror Lake with my mom, brother, and his kids. Mirror Lake is a good 1.5-2 hr drive from home. It takes us through Provo Canyon, across Heber Valley, along Jordanelle Reservoir, past Francis and Kamas, and finally up into the Uintas. It's a really stunning drive that reminds me that I don't have to lament living in Utah. I do notice the encroaching housing developments popping up on the way, but they thin out and eventually disappear as the elevation rises. When we pass Kamas, where the roads are not serviced in the winter, the real natural beauty begins. It smells different up there. The air is cleaner. It was about 60 degrees up at the lake. No one wanted to paddleboard, but Truman and Hector were swimming in the lake. I could hear Truman from a mile away. So full of exuberance and energy. Cameron fished with Helen. Atticus and Sherman hiked up to Mt. Baldy (what a lot of people call Bald Mountain). I never thought I'd see the day when my kids choose to hike something that I'm not making them hike with me. I didn't even go with them. I took CeCe on a walk around the lake looking for Cameron. She swam a little. I noticed that the wildflowers I observed last time were spent. However, I did see some gorgeous red feathered grasses about a foot high waving along the roadside as I neared the turnoff for Mirror Lake. There was mud everywhere from the recent rains. The streams that flowed into the lake were babbling loudly down the mountain. It was lovely. 

  I drove home with Hector and Sherman. Well, Sherman drove the 968 back. I tried to stay awake, but I dozed a little. He did well enough. I was still a little stressed having him drive. I just don't know if I'll ever get to the point where I don't feel like I need to worry when my kids are driving me around. Atticus and Helen went with Cameron and my mom. Cameron was going to take Helen to a few of his secret fishing spots. When he finally got to my house it was dark. Helen (with Cameron's help) had caught a really big trout under a bridge in Francis. She was ecstatic! My mom said when she saw Helen jumping up and down and flapping her hands, she knew they'd caught something. Yep, Helen loves to jump and flap her hands when she's excited.  


      I got a text from Jonathan saying that he was able to board the plane. He'd had some difficulties with his COVID test not having enough saliva to test. What a horrible way to ruin his trip! He's been planning this trip for over a year and waiting for it to finally happen. Well, somehow he figured something out.  

No comments: