Monday, July 18, 2016

Napoli

We had the fortune to be able to rent a car and drive our family to Napoli for the weekend. Rome has many things to see and do, but so do other parts of Italy. In 2002 I took my first Italian class at BYU. I don't even remember my instructor's name. When I decided to add the class late, I remember my stupefied feeling when the teacher said, "Salve" to me when I approached him with my add slip and I just stood there looking at him repeating the word in my head over and over again. I knew nothing about Italian. I was just taking the class to get an A and get admitted to the same university my husband attended. Since then I've been to Italy many times but for very short durations. I've been to Venice, Milan and Rome. Up to this moment, I'm smitten with Napoli, really. It's rough around the edges but the Lungomare, the seaside walkway, took my heart. Literally the image of the words of my Italian instructor's favorite song "Santa Lucia". At 8 o'clock in the evening, the sun sets. It casts its orange light on the floating boats on the water. The Isle of Capri sits in the distance. The surface of the water takes on a silvery shimmer as if something white is rising up from below. And the people are jolly, the families are real, the voices are loud, the food offers its smells as your step nears. And gelato everywhere! Oh gosh! I loved being there in that moment so much that I returned the next night at the same time. 


4 comments:

negin said...

Lovely pictures Christine. I am happy you guys having a good time.

negin said...

This is Negar Christine. ( negin )

vera said...

How FUN! I'm so happy you and your family are having such a good time. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Truman noticed that he and Hector have matching cuts on their legs, and thought that was cool. And india and Truman can't believe how big Helen is!