Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009- Doha

From the adventures of bunsy and her tumbleweeds
Our Thanksgiving table. Blue is just the right color, don't you think?


Thanksgiving was non-existant last year while we were in Turkey. No turkey in Turkey. Ha! But this year since we have a spacious kitchen, a dining table big enough for our family, and a car to transport groceries home in, I decided it would be a good year to celebrate this wholesome and very American holiday. We are American, and the more time I spend outside of the country, the more I am aware of how grateful I am for those brave pilgrims who managed to survive and eventually thrive in America. Many of their ways make me who I am today.




I had the kids make their own placemats for Thanksgiving this year. Of course, I let things go till the last minute but Atticus and Shermy pulled through. They made placemats for the whole family. I only had to make one. We had chicken this year instead of turkey. They sold turkeys down at the Megamart, but we just decided we would taste a little at the church Thanksgiving extravaganza and that would be enough for us. Chicken was much more manageable for me. There I am with little baby snaps in the oven. He's 8 months along and growing strong. Hopefully he'll come before Christmas this year just so Jonathan can be around a few more days before he has to go back to work. Newsflash: We will not be naming our baby Ignatius because I just found out that Cate Blanchett, the actress, named her third son that. I was a little sad about finding that out. Jonathan and I liked that name a lot but in the end we are still undecided. There are still a lot of good names out there and who knows what we will come up with. ? ? ? ? Any suggestions?
From the adventures of bunsy and her tumbleweeds
Jonathan enjoying his crab dip. He loves his dips and crackers on holiday occasions. No one else wanted any so he had to finish it up by himself. It's taken him a few days, but its finally gone.

Atticus picked out the plastic wine glasses this year. We made shirley temples for the occasion. The kids love em. So do I.
From the adventures of bunsy and her tumbleweeds

Cinci was a little serious for the meal. We forced Cinci and Sherman to have a nap before the meal. It proved to be the right decision. No need to have a hyper baby around when you want kids in their seats. He actually ate his food.


I was really happy with the outcome this year. We all talked about what we were grateful for before we ate. We snuck a prayer in. The kids understood that it was a special day and were eager and anxious about it. We really missed Grandma Hill's rolls and raspberry jelly she brings to Thanksgiving dinner in the states but we managed without. Someday we will celebrate again with extended family but for now I'm enjoying this time with my little family.
























1 comment:

Sonja said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am thankful for you! And for that time we got to serve together in RS. For all those learning experiences, for serving others even though you had two and a half kids and were going to school, for the spices you gave me a few years ago, for always being willing to play the guitar and sing, for understanding me even though I don't speak Spanish, but most of all for your friendship. I will be your friend no matter where in the world you go.

Lovely, lovely preggie picture. I can't believe he's almost here! I can't wait to learn what you are going to name him! (Too bad about Ignatious.)